About Us

My photo
A place for Chase's mission to Portland, Oregon to be written in history... his history at least.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This or That



      










 I have been thinking about our roles as parents lately.  When our children are young, probably even until they are 14 or 15, we are the protector, the teacher, the stability in their lives.  We take on this role with all of the love and seriousness that we can possibly possess.  It is when these beautiful children become teenagers and have minds of their own that we get lost in our roles.  We can no longer be the same kind of parent that we were when they were young and looked to us for everything in their lives.  At this point in their lives, they have decisions to make that will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Sometimes there are decisions that they make that we just don't agree with.  I think that one of the hardest things I have learned in raising my teenagers (I now have 4 living in my house right now - 3 17-yr olds and 1 14-yr old) is how to allow them their agency and respect their decisions, even if I don't agree with that decision.  During those times, it is best for me to ask myself, "which would be worse for the relationship, me allowing them to make this decision and face the consequences or me forcing my choice on them and me face the consequences."

Just thoughts going on in my head today.  Being a mom is certainly not very easy at times but has provided the most rewarding and fun experiences I could have imagined including emotions that I never thought could be felt at the same time.

In the pictures Santi, Chase and Spencer went to the Festival of Colors.  Brooke is in the middle with her two life-long friends at the same event.

1 comment:

mandy said...

remember that time... back in March... when you updated your blog? Yeah, I remember... good times.... good times....